Coconut oil is a common ingredient in many hair conditioners, but when head lice strike, an effective way to kill lice is to use a combination of apple cider vinegar and coconut oil. Rinse hair with apple cider vinegar, allow the hair to dry, and then smother the hair and scalp with coconut oil. Chemical treatments do kill head lice, but you may forget that shampoos, conditioners and hair treatments contain chemical ingredients that are absorbed through the hairline. A better way to treat head lice is to use two basic ingredients: apple cider vinegar and coconut oil.
- Raw coconut oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Shower cap or plastic bag
- Rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar but do not rinse out. Allow the vinegar to dry into the hair, as this will loosen the lice that are attracted to the hair follicles.
- Melt the coconut oil and smother it into your hair, covering the hair and scalp completely.
- Add a shower cap or plastic bag to the head and allow the coconut oil to penetrate the hair and scalp and destroy the lice.
- Comb the hair to loosen the eggs and lice and wash the hair thoroughly.
This method is an effective way to treat head lice without expensive harsh chemicals, plus it will leave hair smelling fresh and looking shiny.